Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Passage to India

A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

Finished June 17th, 2007

Rating: 6/10

Decades Challenge Book #5 (1920s)


I read the first 25 pages and said to myself uh-oh I don't think I am going to like this book so when I picked it up again to continue reading I decided to jot down all the characters and their relationships to each other as I was getting confused and that seemed to help.

The theme of the book is the relationship between the English and the Indians in the 1920s which is when the book was written and how each regards the behaviour of the other. There was a party being hosted by an English couple at the beginning of the book where the Indians are on one side of the lawn and the English on the other side which I couldn't help but compare to school dances where boys are on one side and girls on the other.

The book was not plot-driven but rather focused on utilizing the events that happened to emphasize the relationships between the English and the Indians.

After reading this book, I realize that I am more of a plot-driven reader however am starting to learn to appreciate character-driven books.

No comments: