Saturday, May 5, 2007

Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self


Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self
Sarah Ban Breathnach

Finished May 5th, 2007

Rating: 2/10

Non-Fiction Five Challenge Book #1




This is the first book I have finished for the Non-Fiction Five Challenge and I am asking myself why on earth did I put this book on my list other than the fact that it has been sitting on my bookshelf for many years. There are so many great Non-Fiction books out there that I can't believe I wasted my time reading this book.

The book is a self-help book for women to help them find their "authentic self". I didn't find it helpful at all and found it confusing as I was unable to decipher at times the message the author was trying to get across.

I was not really open to this book which is part of the reason as to why I didn't enjoy it along with the fact that I don't think it was very well written. I struggled to finish this book and I almost did not finish it so I do not recommend this book to others.

5 comments:

Joy said...

Bummer! At least it will no longer be a book sitting on your shelf that causes you to wonder about it. :)

I hope your next one is better.

DebD said...

Oh what a bummer! i'm not a self-help book person either so I doubt I would have liked it. I guess if I ever have the inclination to read one I'll know to stay clear of this particular book!

Hope your next choice is better.

Deb (also participating in the Non-Fiction Five)

Literary Feline said...

I do not often read self-help books myself. I'm sorry your first pick for the challenge was a flop. Hopefully the next one will be much better.

Booklogged said...

I read Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance before reading this one. I don't know if you'd be willing to give her another try . . . It's the perfect bathroom book with a couple of pages to read each day. I didn't care for Something More either. I think the author was going through a divorce at the time and the bitterness showed in her writing.

Pamela (aka Paiges) said...

Thanks for everyone's comments I have started my second read for the Non-Fiction Five Challenge and am enjoying it a lot better than my first read.

Booklogged - I actually do have Simple Abundance and agree with you that it is a great bathroom book and I love the simple messages in the book. I agree Something More is definately a different tone then her Simple Abundance book which is why I just didn't enjoy it.