Saturday, January 12, 2008

Black and Blue


Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen

Finished January 7th, 2008

Rating: 9/10

Unread Authors Challenge Book #1


From the Publisher
With daring and compassion, Anna Quindlen weaves a forceful, harrowing portrait of a woman and a marriage, capturing the profound intricacies of love and rage, passion and violence. At once heartbreaking and utterly riveting, BLACK AND BLUE is an extraordinary work of fiction and a brilliant achievement.

For eighteen years, Fran Benedetto kept her secret, hid her bruises, and stayed with Bobby because she wanted her son to have a father and because, in spite of everything, she loved him. Then one night, when she saw the look on her ten-year-old son's face, Fran finally made a choice--and ran for both their lives.



What a great read for my 2nd read of 2008. The plot wasn't over the top as Quindlen takes such a complex topic and manages to write a simple and realistic story about domestic violence. This was the first time I have read a book by Quindlen and I look forward to reading some more by her.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I'm so glad you liked this. I've only read one by Quindlen and didn't think much of it. (It was a very short read, too.) I've heard such good things about her other books that I plan on giving another one a try this year. It's good to hear this one is a winner.

Pamela (aka Paiges) said...

It was good to start out the year with a great read. I'm hoping my winning streak lasts.