Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter


The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

Finished August 22nd, 2007

Rating: 3/10

Decades Challenge Book #7 (1940s)



Synopsis from Barnes & Noble
Published in 1940, The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter is considered McCullers' finest work. The focus of the work is on John Singer, a deaf-mute in a Georgia mill town during the 1930s, and on his effect on the people who confide in him. When Singer's mute Greek companion of 10 years goes insane, Singer is left alone and isolated. He takes a room with the Kelly family, where he is visited by the town's misfits, who turn to him for understanding but have no knowledge of his inner life. The book's emphasis on individuals who are considered outcasts because of race, politics, disability, or sensibility placed it squarely within the Southern gothic tradition of American literature.



I started reading this book without knowing what is about. It wasn't until I got half way through the book that I started to understand the message the author was trying to convey. I got to the end of the book and simply just didn't like it very much.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I've been curious about this book, but don't think I've ever actually picked it up. Maybe I'll just continue to skip over it. :)

Pamela (aka Paiges) said...

Yeah I really didn't enjoy it. I have been feeling like I have been in a reading funk so that could also be why my enjoyment was so low for this book.