Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Finished September 17th, 2007

Rating: 8/10

Dystopian Challenge Book #5


I am ashamed to say I have never read any books by Margaret Atwood before and I am a Canadian. I have to say I really enjoyed her writing style and will definately be reading more from her.

It was difficult to summarize the book but I will try to touch on the main points.

The book is told by Jimmy (aka Snowman) as he unravels the story of how and why the world is as it is as he shifts between flashbacks from the past and the present. He describes his relationships with his two close friends Oryx and Crake. It isn't until the end of the book that the reader finds out what has happened to these two friends of Snowman as it is evident they are not around in the present time.

The only interaction Snowman has in the new world is with the Crakers, a genetically engineered species created by his friend Crake. The Crakers are very different from Snowman as they are programmed to: not be jealous, not have territorial tendencies which would lead to war, die at 30 years old, etc.

Atwood's description of the future is thought provoking and she manages to paint a realistic future in some aspects.

My only disappointment was the abrupt ending as the reader is left to envision the future for Snowman and the Crakers.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Wow! You rated this an "8"!!! I just picked up the CDs at the library to download onto my iPod, so now I'm looking forward to it even more. I'm not sure if it's my type of book, but I need to give Atwood a try. I hope it's a good listen.

Pamela (aka Paiges) said...

I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't expecting to enjoy her writing as much as I did. I hope you enjoy her book as much as I did, I look forward to reading your review.

Joy said...

I just finished this one and hated the ending! I rated it a 3.5/5.