Friday, May 18, 2007

1984



1984 by George Orwell

Finished May 18th, 2007

Rating: 8/10

Dystopian Challenge Book #2



I know a lot of people were required to read this book in school but this was not required reading at my school so this was the first time I had read this book. This book had less dialogue than I typically like but despite the little dialogue I still really enjoyed this book.

What a very sad and hopeless place Oceania is which is where the book takes place. How sad is it that books/magazines/newspapers are updated and changed and therefore the only thing that you can trust about the past is your memory and in the end even that could be taken away.

I was a bit confused about the fact that some citizens called proles did not have the same rules applied to them as "the Party Members" and found myself wondering how is it decided whether you are a Party Member or a prole, I never did figure it out.

I found this to be a very good book but was a little disappointed that there wasn't a happier ending, I guess I am just a sucker for happy endings.

No comments: