Friday, June 29, 2007

French Women Don't Get Fat


French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano

Finished June 29th, 2007

Rating: 8/10

Non-Fiction Five Challenge Book #3



This book is about learning to achieve a healthy weight through balancing food, exercise, sleep, etc. in life and was specifically written for women. It is a good mix between a memoir and self-help. The author tells about her experience gaining weight while living in the US as a 1 year student exchange and how she took off the weight upon her return to France. She also provides stories of how she has helped friends lose weight.

She provides simple suggestions that are commen sense that one can easily adapt to and also provides some of her favourite recipes.

I will take the following lessons from this book:

Manage my portions;
Do not eat while doing other things;
Go for quality ingredients;
Eat food when it is in season;
Drink more water.

The focus of the book is on eating habits although she does touch on the benefits of exercise. I would recommend this book for all women who want to lose a few pounds and start living a balanced lifestyle.

4 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I always saw this book at Target/Walmart and wanted to pick it up, but for some reason never did. *sigh* - I've already broken almost all of the lessons you've learned and its only 10:30 in the morning. :) I may pick it up for the recipes, though. Have you tried any?

Pamela (aka Paiges) said...

Some of the recipes are a little too much work for my taste (ie. making your own yogurt or bread). I likely won't ever make any of the recipes and appreciated the book more for the advice.

soleil said...

i loved this book and once my friend returns my copy i plan on tackling the recipe for croissants.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Thanks for the comment Pamela. If the recipes are too much work, I'm not sure if I'll check into this book any further. I'm sure I know most of the "advice" and no matter how many times I hear it, I can't seem to follow! :)