Friday, June 8, 2007

The Nanny Diaries



The Nanny Diaries
by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus

Finished May 31st, 2007

Rating: 7/10



I had previously read Citizen Girl by these authors and hated it but thought I would give them another try with this book as I know a movie is coming out this summer based on the book which doesn't look half bad.

This book was written by two former nannies about you guessed it being a nanny to a particular upper class family in New York. The nanny in the novel is named Nan and she is a nanny to a four year old boy named Grayer, who she has nicknamed Grover. I loved the character of Grayer, what a wonderfully funny little boy as the parts that he was in the book would make me just smile.

I found the storyline to be very similar to The Devil Wears Prada although it was not as funny. It was actually quite sad at times as the father is a workaholic and is having an affair and the mother simply ignores Grayer and is so busy trying to get the father to pay attention to her.

I wish there was more of a confrontation at the end of the book rather than the abrupt ending as I felt like I needed more closure than I received.

It will be interesting to watch the movie to see if they try to spin this as more of a comedy as I really found that the book was more sad than funny.

No comments: