Saturday, April 21, 2007

Nineteen Minutes




Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Finished April 21st, 2007

Rating: 8/10





I have read several books by Jodi Picoult and have always enjoyed them and this book was no exception.

Simply put by the editors at Barnes & Noble "Nineteen Minutes recounts a deadly high school shooting rampage, its causes, and its aftermath."

There is one point in the book that is especially poignant for me as the story flashes back to a day when a young boy aged 5 gets up at 4:30am and wakes his parents up because he is so excited about his first day of kindergarten only to have his excitement dashed by bullies. Twelve years later this is the same boy that goes on a shooting spree at his high school. The book flips between past and present which allows the reader to experience the different sides of this story.

The reader is aware throughout the book that there is going to be a twist at the end however I believe the twist was unrealistic and unnecessary and made what could have been an excellent book into just a very good book.

I believe this book will stay with me for a very long time.

1 comment:

alisonwonderland said...

i just discovered Picoult this year, and i've read seven of her novels so far, including Nineteen Minutes. i think it's one of my favorites so far. have you read My Sister's Keeper? that is my favorite.