Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Eat Pray Love


Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Finished October 31st, 2007

Rating: 6/10

Armchair Traveler Reading Challenge Book #3



From Barnes & Noble
Oddly but aptly titled, Eat, Pray, Love is an experience to be savored: This spiritual memoir brims with humor, grace, and scorching honesty. After a messy divorce and other personal missteps, Elizabeth Gilbert confronts the "twin goons" of depression and loneliness by traveling to three countries that she intuited had something she was seeking. First, in Italy, she seeks to master the art of pleasure by indulging her senses. Then, in an Indian ashram, she learns the rigors and liberation of mind-exalting hours of meditation. Her final destination is Bali, where she achieves a precarious, yet precious equilibrium. Gilbert's original voice and unforced wit lend an unpretentious air to her expansive spiritual journey.


When I first started this book I thought I was really going to like it but then after about 50 pages it started to go downhill for me. I enjoyed reading about Liz's experiences in Italy and Indonesia however I found the India piece boring.

I watched the Oprah show when the author was on and I really liked hearing about Liz's experience firsthand. However, I found the book didn't strike the same chord with me as hearing the story firsthand from Liz.

1 comment:

1morechapter said...

I didn't really care for this either.