Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan


Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Finished July 22nd, 2007

Rating: 9/10

Armchair Traveler Reading Challenge Book #1



I loved this book. It tells the tale of two girls who grow up in 19th century China. They are bonded together as laotongs which establishes a deep friendship between the two for life, very much like a marriage. There are ups and downs as the girls encounter obstacles as they go through the stages of their lives from marriage to motherhood.

I loved learning about the Chinese culture in this book. The book reminded me so much of Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden which is one of my favourite books. I found the book to be sadder then Memoirs of a Geisha as a misunderstanding arises between the women when they are older.

I highly recommend this book especially if you liked Memoirs of a Geisha.

4 comments:

1morechapter said...

One of my absolute favorites!! So glad you liked it.

Joy said...

Hooray...a good read for you! :)

I rated this one a 4/5, but no comments. It was before my blog. :) I liked MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA better, but this one was still very good.

Pamela (aka Paiges) said...

3m - This was my first Lisa See book so I will have to read some more from her. Hopefully they are as good as this one.

Joy - I also liked Memoirs of a Geisha better and rated that 10/10 when I read it a few years ago but agree this one was still an excellent book.

alisonwonderland said...

i've had this one on my TBR list for a while. i've only read one other by Lisa See though - Flower Net.

i thought Memoirs of a Geisha was a fabulously written book - but the storyline was depressing to me.